Humans are goal-seeking missiles – but what happens when you actually reach your goals and you don’t know it?
So, what do you do next? Well, this requires some thinking time and some structure.
- Plan a goal setting session and work out WHO needs to get involved. Is it you alone or you plus others?
- Find a place away from your normal work environment and distractions. Make it somewhere that inspires creative thinking.
- Take coloured pens and big sheets of paper with you – this is an exercise in thinking BIG!
- Allow time to explore possibilities. Small goals need a little time – BIG goals need a lot more – half a day to several days.
- Mind storm on your own or brainstorm with others to find goals that are in alignment with who you are and what your organisation stands for.
- Break the goals into bite-sized chunks and plan them out over a 90 Day period. Put the goals into a timeline. Make it do-able. Remember there are no unreasonable goals, only unrealistic time lines.
- Allocate who will do what – and if you find your own “to do” list is longer than everyone else’s then you have control issues! Let go of things that are not your Genius and allow others to take the tasks that you don’t want to do or are not good at.
- Go to it – commit to it, put the tasks in your diary and work steadily towards the goal.
- CELEBRATE the achievement of a goal before you move onto the next one – this step is vitally important and often missed.